Friday 31 December 2010

Won't Be Long Now

Well, yes, the above title could refer to the upcoming predictable nannyfest commonly known as 2011, but is actually prompted by today's realisation that this blog is fast approaching the 10,000 comment mark.

So close, in fact, that it may very well be breached before midnight, who knows?

Now, considering I hold the commenters here in the highest regard, I planned to offer a prize or something for whomever posts it. And since I'm regularly accused of working for the tobacco industry, attractive giveaways must be stacked up to the rafters here, surely.

Sadly, on scouting round, all I could find were a pristine spare copy of Ten Years On by Lee Rotheram (the TPA sent me two for some reason) and a boxed retro pink toothbrush in the shape of a woman's leg, which I inexplicably bought from a boot sale about 7 or 8 years ago ... so perhaps that idea isn't really a goer.

As such, I'll just heartily thank everyone who has read this stuff in 2010 - especially if you've offered your own views in the comments - and sincerely wish you all a very happy and prosperous new year.

I'll point out which is the landmark comment when it arrives, though I can't even stretch to a banner, brass band fanfare and wide-smiled PR girl for the occasion. How bloody mean from a tobacco-funded tycoon, eh?

Enjoy the pyrotechnics all ... we get 'music' this year.


35 comments:

Paul Kearns said...

I would offer a pack of Tesco "value" AAA batteries - everyone needs them for remote controls. Keep up the good work mate.

Anonymous said...

Happy new Year all. May 2011 be the year all hell let's loose and we get our Country back.

Eddie Douthwaite said...

A guid New Year tae yin an a, and lang may yir lum reek.

Katabasis said...

Congratulations to all of us who made it around the Sun for another lap.

For those who didn't make it this year, you are still in my heart, memory burning bright. May it always until the Last Embrace of the Mother welcomes me too.

Captain Ranty said...

Just

Captain Ranty said...

trying

Captain Ranty said...

to

Captain Ranty said...

secure

Captain Ranty said...

that

Captain Ranty said...

toothbrush

Trooper Thompson said...

All the best for the new year.

Captain Ranty said...

!

Captain Ranty said...

Did I win?

Trooper Thompson said...

Captain,

Trooper Thompson said...

that's

Trooper Thompson said...

cheating!

Captain Ranty said...

If TT gets it I will be as sick as a parrot.

Sneaky tactic that, waiting for me to mispell a wv.

CR.

Dick Puddlecote said...

You sneaky bugger, Cap'n. It was "That" at 20:49 that won it.

LMFAO :)

Trooper Thompson said...

I demand a recount! I feel strangely cheated.

Dick Puddlecote said...

I've been wondering all day what would constitute the pearl of wisdom to represent 10,000 comments here, and it turns out to be "that".

I suppose it matches the trite articles though, I s'pose. ;)

If you want the prize Cap'n, you're quite welcome ... on the condition you post a pic of the toothbrush at yours since I've lost my USB cable to post one here (under all the other crap around my desk).

Captain Ranty said...

Sour grapes from TT there!

He was a minute out!

I think it deserves to go to a decent comment Dick. A four letter word, (and not even a sweary!), is not worthy.

I only popped by to wish all at Puddlecote Mansions a wonderful New Year.

All the best mate!!

Send the toothbrush to TT or we'll never hear the end of it :)

CR.

The Filthy Engineer said...

Happy New year DP.

Mark Wadsworth said...

Here's my attempt.

WV: elismism

Which is like "elitism" for people with a speech defect.

Trooper Thompson said...

Ranty,

keep yer goddamn toothbrush!

PT Barnum said...

See what you've done, DP? One teeny tiny mention of a prize and all hell breaks out. Now if we simply adhered to the 'All must have prizes' dogma, we'd all be nice and friendly - and you'd be having to corner the market in kitsch toothbrushes!

Thanks for all the laughs and rants in 2010. More of the same in 2011, please.

Dick the Prick said...

Happy new year. Glad 2010's over, pretty shite.

Dick Puddlecote said...

PT Barnum: Good point, but I struggle to supply even one prize - imagine if I had to offer one for each of the 600 visitors here today.

That would make me a government buying clerk. ;)

Anonymous said...

No prize for for 10,019th then?

Happy New Year to you and yours, Dick. Thanks for all the blogs.


x

Anonymous said...

No, it's for the 10,020, has to be an even number.

Actually I started counting for the same comment, only you beat me to it at 10,019.

Anonymous said...

Great anonymusses think alike.

x

Woman on a Raft said...

Happy New Year

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to all.

I have a prize that is of great value, and I am quite prepared to donate it to DP for him to pass on to his 10 000th visitor. It is the 'one year on line subscription to the Tobacco Control magazine' which I won recently.

If DP refuses to go along with this idea, then I will have no alternative but to give the subscription to a deserving charity. Perhaps ASH. ASH could possibly sell the subscription and add to their voluntary contributions account.

JuliaM said...

Happy new year! ;)

Unknown said...

Damn, missed this post. I'm always up for anything that's free.

All the best to you and yours DP for 2011, especially on the home schooling front. (Who TF buys a second hand toothbrush?)

Dr Evil said...

Keep it up, Dick!

(Oh, Matron!)

Happy New Year