Tuesday 22 June 2010

Un-Fairtrade?

All that guff about fair trade and protecting the livelihoods of African farmers righteously flies out the window when it suits.

Nairobi — Tanzania's delegation to the World Trade Organisation will appeal against a proposed Bill by Canada that seeks to ban the use of ingredients in cigarette brands saying it will affect tobacco farmers globally.

The Tanzanian delegation will also raise the issue of the Canadian ban being incorporated into the draft guidelines (Art. 9 and 10) of the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) at the World Health Organisation.

In October 2009, Canada adopted a new law (the Cracking Down on Tobacco Marketing Aimed at Youth Act) that will effectively ban the manufacture and sale of traditional blended cigarettes - and will thereby indirectly significantly reduce imports of the burley and oriental tobacco used in such cigarettes.
'Cos we care about you Africans, really we do ... but only when you're producing bananas and coffee.


3 comments:

Bucko said...

I remember reading (I dont know where off the top of my head) that Fairtrade can do more harm than good. Particularly in the case of farmers who dont grow coffee and bananas; the standard stuff. They get excluded unless they change their crops.
I'll see if I can figure out where I got that from.

Bucko said...

The Guardian? I wasn't aware I read the Guardian. Oh well...

Dick Puddlecote said...

It's OK, Bucko, the piece references the ASI so you're not turning soshie just yet. ;-)

Nice find. Ta for sharing.