Friday 4 September 2009

Towering Insensitivity


The Mail has picked up on this ad Mr Eugenides ran with yesterday.

Exploiting the horror of 9/11: American fury at WWF ad showing a hundred planes poised to collide with New York


Tasteless, as Mr E quite rightly concluded. So much so that the WWF are desperately trying to distance themselves from it.

Pah! WWF pussies. Anti-smoking organisations have no such qualms about exploiting 9/11 for their own particular niche of scaremongery. Like this effort from ASH New Zealand in 2008.


Or this, which appeared in an Arab newspaper ... on 11th September 2007.


Tasteless? Not to the swivel-eyed tobacco controllers. For them, disaster is merely a delicious opportunity.




4 comments:

Unknown said...

"It is an unauthorized use of our logo and we are aggressively pursuing action to have it removed from websites where it is being currently featured."

The WWF may just come after you Dick. And maybe ASH (spit) New Zealand too. :}

Unknown said...

Initially words failed me on this one. Now the words are coming and they are not nice.

Even in my absolute disgust and hatred of these fuckers, I hope the righteous cunts are never caught in the middle of a disaster. I would never wish that on my worst enemy, as I am fortunately a compassionate and reasonable human being.

To say that 9/11 was the worst day of my life is an understatement. I have spent years trying to get that rid of that horrible feeling. I have recently started to forgive the media for their constant anniversary reminders, but to see it used for some fuckwit do gooder ad campaign is just beyond belief and is totally disrespectful to those who died or had their lives turned upside down on that awful day.

I apologise for the language and will go back to words failing me.

Frank Davis said...

I saw the middle picture of the three a couple of years or so back. What struck me about it was that quite obviously the crass idiots who had produced it thought that the largely imaginary dangers of smoking were more important than the the very real danger that people faced on 9/11, and they felt able to appropriate the image for their own use. They had no sense of proportion. But then we know that anyway, I guess.

The WWF one is worse in some ways, because it's a fantasy of the destruction of the whole of NYC, and of a civilisation. But then, I guess that's what the WWF is all about really anyway.

Anonymous said...

Dick, anyone who can even come up with that kind of logic, needs some serious treatment, surely.
You would have to be sick in the head to even compare.
freedom2choose.org (for a while) a problem with servers.
mandyv